Welcome to 96MB, please Login or Create an account to get full access to the forums.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Good idea to enable automatic subscription?

Offline zhuanyi Posted 04-10-2013, 05:04 AM -
357 Posts
I am just wondering if it is a good idea to turn on automatic billing/subscription via Paypal? I have seen some providers doing such (i.e., setting up a billing profile rather than let you choose between checkout and subscribe) and I was thinking of doing that too, however it seems to be a potential source for chargebacks, which obviously does not make sense since one chargeback could wipe out your full year of earnings.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline wdq Posted 04-10-2013, 10:40 AM -
74 Posts
I really think that providers should just enable the simple checkout by default. In the past I have had issues with paying an invoice twice before. I went in to pay the invoice right after I got the invoice in an email, I paid it, and then a little while later the subscription kicked in and paid the invoice a second time.

So I really think that if everyone had just simple manual payments setup it would be a whole lot less confusing.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline HalfEatenPie Posted 04-10-2013, 10:49 AM -
Executive Baked Pastry
51 Posts
Oh I hate having automatic billing enabled. I'd prefer to have checkout instead of subscribe for the sole reason that I know when my money is being sent.

Angel Everyone loves Pie! Angel
Back to top WWW Find Quote
Offline tmn29a Posted 04-10-2013, 08:44 PM -
Resistance Leader
83 Posts
I also prefer to pay by hand, because than I actually have to take the time and pay the VPS. I believe if it takes a physical act to pay something, rather than some automated process you are more aware that you just spend some money - this way I minimize the VPS because every time I pay for it I have to think about it again and decide anew if I really need it.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline mikho Posted 04-10-2013, 09:32 PM -
official slacker
42 Posts
I'm starting to have a hard time keeping up on what sites I do have paypal subcriptions created for and which I have not.

Time to visit the paypal site and remove everything, start over Smile

I actually have one or two hosting providers where I have a subscription and where I for some reason ended up paying one extra time, so there is one month/billing period as credit on my account.

-_- www.lowendguide.com -_- the guides to administer your lowend vps
Like on Facebook and follow on Twitter
Back to top WWW Find Quote
Offline zhuanyi Posted 04-10-2013, 11:34 PM -
357 Posts
(04-10-2013, 08:44 PM)tmn29a Wrote: I also prefer to pay by hand, because than I actually have to take the time and pay the VPS. I believe if it takes a physical act to pay something, rather than some automated process you are more aware that you just spend some money - this way I minimize the VPS because every time I pay for it I have to think about it again and decide anew if I really need it.

I see, some providers I have used before (may be due to a bug in WHCMS?) will redirect you to subscription anyways even if you click on check out. So I'd have to hit cancel and login again to pay invoice, which is a hassle.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline coreymanshack Posted 05-07-2013, 09:06 AM -
79 Posts
Yea I definitely like to pay my invoices manually. If I don't have the money for some reason I don't want overdraft fees.
Back to top Find Quote