Welcome to 96MB, please Login or Create an account to get full access to the forums.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Re-defining "Low End"

Offline 96mb Posted 04-07-2013, 08:16 AM -
Administrator
62 Posts
It is a tough question, for sure, but at the time when we could have 5GB of RAM for 7 USD per month, "low end" could no longer be adequately defined by just setting a price level. Furthermore, it is not fair, say, to put managed and unmanaged VPS providers under the same bar since it would be very difficult for managed providers to sell their VPS for less than 7USD per month without going bankrupt.

Therefore, my thoughts is as follows:

For unmanaged providers, the price has to be less than 7USD per month, with no more than 1GB of RAM offered.

For managed providers, the price has to be less than 15 USD per month for the ones without a control panel and 30 USD per month for the ones with a control panel. However, the RAM limit remains, i.e., no more than 1GB of RAM offered.

Granted you could argue if we will need to limit the hard drive space or bandwidth, however RAM seems to be the biggest bottleneck for people and is also the most "fun" component to slash down.

Do you have any suggestions on this? If so I'd be happy to hear in your replies.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline tmn29a Posted 04-07-2013, 09:15 PM -
Resistance Leader
83 Posts
I'm not sure how good it would be to limit the amount of RAM offered. I agree with the other points, but I think some people would like to see those offers, although it isn't considered "low end". If we define the maximum at e.g. 5GB I would be on board but 1GB is for my taste just too limiting.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline rds100 Posted 04-08-2013, 04:36 AM -
18 Posts
I think just the price as limit is OK. Resources don't matter. If someone can offer you 50GB RAM for $7 and make it work both for him and for the customers - why should be against it?
Back to top Find Quote
Offline jarland Posted 04-08-2013, 04:16 PM -
52 Posts
To me low end refers to low resource. Of the available resources, assuming an adequate CPU, RAM is often the first one to hit a ceiling and is usually the thing our optimizations tend to focus on reducing usage of.

All of the guides, scripts, etc. that focus on low resource VPS center around doing more with less RAM. To me, RAM is still the defining characteristic.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline pubcrawler Posted 04-13-2013, 05:42 PM -
97 Posts
I agree with @jarland.

I've never understood the pricing relationship to lowend. I mean costs are relative to income and liquidity as a buyer. Many IT folks will argue a $7 VPS is a piece of garbage without trying it, based solely on cost disbelief.

RAM is what makes something lowend.

I'd love to see more focus on this core concept. Smaller offerings and scripts/optimization to do more with less. Instead of the let's run the world's biggest pig a%$ game on a 2GB VPS along with 10 others doing the same and wondering why it performs like molasses flows.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline coreymanshack Posted 05-07-2013, 08:02 AM -
79 Posts
(04-13-2013, 05:42 PM)pubcrawler Wrote: I agree with @jarland.

I've never understood the pricing relationship to lowend. I mean costs are relative to income and liquidity as a buyer. Many IT folks will argue a $7 VPS is a piece of garbage without trying it, based solely on cost disbelief.

RAM is what makes something lowend.

I'd love to see more focus on this core concept. Smaller offerings and scripts/optimization to do more with less. Instead of the let's run the world's biggest pig a%$ game on a 2GB VPS along with 10 others doing the same and wondering why it performs like molasses flows.

I think it became this because more and more 'providers' joined the market and drove the price down, and customers now expect X for a certain $ amount. We can't deprive prospective buyers of what they are looking for.

One thing, this isn't lowendbox. The slogan of this whole website is 'superb reviews and deals on super-cheap VPS'. You can still have a super cheap vps with 3GB of ram, even 5GB of ram. Cost to resource ratio is the single most deciding factor of a potential buyer. Buyers don't look for the smallest possible vps to fit their services on.
Back to top Find Quote