Welcome to 96MB, please Login or Create an account to get full access to the forums.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SSD cached VPS?

Offline zhuanyi Posted 03-31-2013, 01:00 PM -
357 Posts
Got an email from Jacob from EaseVPS earlier about their plan in offering SSD-cached VPS.

Does this offer significant disk I/O boost when comparing to traditional RAID 10 VPS? I think quite a few providers offer similar services recently, but not sure if it worth a shot.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline wdq Posted 03-31-2013, 02:31 PM -
74 Posts
From what I have seen it depends on the host. I have seen full SSD performance all the way up in the 1GB/s range (RamNode) and as low as 200MB/s (DigitalOcean).

I had a RamNode SSD cached VPS a while back and was getting around 400MB/s speeds.

As far a RAID 10 goes I have a CatalystHost VPS that gets upwards of 300MB/s even though it uses plain old HDDs.

So from my experiences SSD cached VPSs are typically faster than a normal HDD based VPS, but a good HDD setup isn't a whole lot slower.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline pubcrawler Posted 04-01-2013, 04:13 AM -
97 Posts
Hopefully a provider can speak up about the SSD caching. I see it at Ramnode. Fast.

Where I notice the speed is apt-get and other things like compiles.

Raw reads and writes, surely improved by it. But big win is disk IO wait time that goes away. SSDs do that in nearly any form though.

A single SSD can/will keep pace with big fancy RAID-10. Depends on workloads like everything.

To me, SSD cache is good for low end VPS that are suspect to being heavily oversold and IO WAIT plagued. On my own servers, I don't have any interest in using such. Just use the SSDs right.

Curiously, wondering why am not seeing the SSD+spinning disk hybrids tested out by providers. Has likely lower cost to implement and less to go wrong.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline HalfEatenPie Posted 04-01-2013, 04:49 PM -
Executive Baked Pastry
51 Posts
(04-01-2013, 04:13 AM)pubcrawler Wrote: Hopefully a provider can speak up about the SSD caching. I see it at Ramnode. Fast.

Where I notice the speed is apt-get and other things like compiles.

Raw reads and writes, surely improved by it. But big win is disk IO wait time that goes away. SSDs do that in nearly any form though.

A single SSD can/will keep pace with big fancy RAID-10. Depends on workloads like everything.

To me, SSD cache is good for low end VPS that are suspect to being heavily oversold and IO WAIT plagued. On my own servers, I don't have any interest in using such. Just use the SSDs right.

Curiously, wondering why am not seeing the SSD+spinning disk hybrids tested out by providers. Has likely lower cost to implement and less to go wrong.

Actually, I believe Blue VM was using the hybrid drives for a while.

My ramnode KVM SSD-cached VPS I quite enjoy, although I don't really know what I need this VPS for (I haven't found a use yet), and thanks to today's Prometeus's hilarious April fools joke, I got a OpenVZ SSD-Cached VPS and absolutely love it!

Angel Everyone loves Pie! Angel
Back to top WWW Find Quote
Offline Jacob Posted 04-22-2013, 02:20 AM -
5 Posts
Hey, zhuanyi.
In Scranton, PA our SSD Cached nodes are 2 x 128GB SSDs in RAID 1 and 2 x 1TB SATA in RAID 1, this way we can do both read and write caching without the worry of data loss.

In Kansas City, MO our SSD Cached nodes are 1 x 128GB SSD in RAID 1 and 2 x 1TB SATA in RAID 1, only reads at the moment.

New nodes in Kansas City, will be using 2 x 128GB same as Scranton, but for now it is not, this was the first location we set SSD Caching up on, and was just getting to grips with it.

It removes the bottleneck of I/O, It's consistantly around 100MB/s and 1K+ IOPS which is acceptable for a Budget Provider, but as always there is room for improvement.

(03-31-2013, 01:00 PM)zhuanyi Wrote: Got an email from Jacob from EaseVPS earlier about their plan in offering SSD-cached VPS.

Does this offer significant disk I/O boost when comparing to traditional RAID 10 VPS? I think quite a few providers offer similar services recently, but not sure if it worth a shot.
Back to top Find Quote