Welcome to 96MB, please Login or Create an account to get full access to the forums.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Surface RT @ 199USD, does it worth?

Offline zhuanyi Posted 07-10-2013, 11:06 PM -
357 Posts
Microsoft seems to have slashed the price for SurfaceRT by almost 60% for students in the US:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/159...r-discount

Just wondering at 199, would it be a good deal? How does Windows RT differ from regular Windows 8 (other than the fact RT runs on ARM platform and does not have Outlook RT)? How's the experience of people using it for those who have one?
Back to top Find Quote
Offline jarland Posted 07-11-2013, 12:34 AM -
52 Posts
Never used one, but everyone that I've talked to that rushed out to buy one at release was disappointed. Microsoft failed to adequately market the reality that the RT model is not Windows as anyone knows it. It doesn't run Windows software that wasn't specifically compiled for it, and my understanding is that even still that isn't very many useful apps.

The pro version is a better investment in my opinion.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline zhuanyi Posted 07-11-2013, 03:08 AM -
357 Posts
(07-11-2013, 12:34 AM)jarland Wrote: Never used one, but everyone that I've talked to that rushed out to buy one at release was disappointed. Microsoft failed to adequately market the reality that the RT model is not Windows as anyone knows it. It doesn't run Windows software that wasn't specifically compiled for it, and my understanding is that even still that isn't very many useful apps.

The pro version is a better investment in my opinion.

Indeed, even Outlook RT is not available. I think you can use it as a basic tablet to do browsing and stuff, and Putty to SSH into your own VPS and Filezilla to upload/download files, but other than that, I can see why the use is limited.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline concerto49 Posted 07-23-2013, 07:44 PM -
42 Posts
M$ just wrote off a large sum due to the Surface tablets not doing well.

High performance, fast network, affordable price VPS - Cloud Shards
Available in Texas, New York & Los Angeles
Back to top WWW Find Quote
Offline zhuanyi Posted 07-25-2013, 12:29 AM -
357 Posts
(07-23-2013, 07:44 PM)concerto49 Wrote: M$ just wrote off a large sum due to the Surface tablets not doing well.

I think now the price for SurfaceRT might be more competitive:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-15...emand.html

Before it was just too overpriced. I mean, people would probably spending like 600 bucks buying an IPAD since it has millions of apps, but with surfaceRT? There is no apps and it would be very difficult for people to justify spending the same amount of money.
Back to top Find Quote