Welcome to 96MB, please Login or Create an account to get full access to the forums.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Domain hijacking - Does it really worth?

Offline zhuanyi Posted 04-29-2013, 09:41 AM -
357 Posts
No, I am not talking about stealing domains illegally. For example, I was thinking of getting a dedicated server from Datashack and when I entered Datashack.com, it went to ReliableSite.net, which is another dedicated server provider.

Initially I thought it was just a trick done by a few newbie hosts trying to make a quick profit, however I realized that more and more reputable hosts are doing this, such as InceroVapor.com is now redirecting to HeroicVPS.com.

What is your view on this and why do you think providers would want to risk their reputations doing things like this to generate a few more sales?
Back to top Find Quote
Offline pubcrawler Posted 04-29-2013, 04:54 PM -
97 Posts
Well, those aren't domain hijacks. Probably just similar named domains catching common mistypings.

Some of these mistype domain catchers can attract a great amount of inbound traffic. Find it semi-dirty tactic, but sure some folks are making good money with such.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline zhuanyi Posted 04-29-2013, 10:56 PM -
357 Posts
@pubcrawler: Those are the exact spelling but with a different extensions, essentially like stealing others' brandname to redirect traffic to their own site...
Back to top Find Quote
Offline coreymanshack Posted 05-07-2013, 08:36 AM -
79 Posts
Well there is nothing legal about this. The domain can be seized by datashack if they wanted to. This other company is piggybacking on their brand name with a common misspelling to generate revenue.
Back to top Find Quote