Welcome to 96MB, please Login or Create an account to get full access to the forums.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

BuyVM protected IP config

Offline pubcrawler Posted 04-25-2013, 09:18 AM -
97 Posts
Anyone on here using BuyVM's protected DDoS IP service?

New to me and having conceptual issue here. Support on this product is kind of sparce, except where it's rather complicated (i.e. GRE tunnel).

Is anyone using the DDoS service simply within their VPS as a secondary IP. (i.e. venet0:1)?

Wanting to get the protected IP working just as a secondary IP on the VPS, but unsure if can be used that way or not.

Anyone?
Back to top Find Quote
Offline pubcrawler Posted 04-25-2013, 02:38 PM -
97 Posts
Well turns out if you want to use the BuyVM DDoS protect service to protect the actual VPS it is running on, configuration is simple.

No need for GRE tunnel or anything. As per Francisco...

Just add the protected/filtered IP manually as a second IP to your VPS.

Did that, rebooted since I mucked around with a bunch of stuff and presto! It works.

Hazard per se with this approach is keeping the original IP running unfiltered and someone discovering that IP for attack.

Seeing about 5ms increase in latency on the filtered IP. Pretty good!

BuyVM continues to impress me Smile
Back to top Find Quote
Offline zhuanyi Posted 04-25-2013, 10:44 PM -
357 Posts
Do you actually need to do anything? I remember when my box was set up, the filtered IP was already there so basically all I need to do is to force Nginx to only listen to the protected IP and force SSH login on the non-protected ones.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline pubcrawler Posted 04-26-2013, 06:43 AM -
97 Posts
Well, interesting @zhuanyi. Unsure if BuyVM VPS picks up the second IP later (after another reboot) or what...

I manually added the second IP and did reboot, so unsure.

As usual Fran was mega nice and helpful to answer the questions I had.

Not to determine if they have any sort of notification when you are getting attacked or such increasing. $3/mo, it's a crazy unbelievable price, so I am curious Smile
Back to top Find Quote
Offline zhuanyi Posted 04-26-2013, 11:03 PM -
357 Posts
(04-26-2013, 06:43 AM)pubcrawler Wrote: Well, interesting @zhuanyi. Unsure if BuyVM VPS picks up the second IP later (after another reboot) or what...

I manually added the second IP and did reboot, so unsure.

As usual Fran was mega nice and helpful to answer the questions I had.

Not to determine if they have any sort of notification when you are getting attacked or such increasing. $3/mo, it's a crazy unbelievable price, so I am curious Smile

I just shot Francisco a PM on LET to ask, don't think he is on this forum yet but I am curious with this as well.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline jarland Posted 04-27-2013, 04:18 PM -
52 Posts
One thing I'd remember is that if you're getting one because you're under attack, let Francisco in on the details. My understanding is that a heads up is appreciated. Otherwise treat it like your vps IP and have at it.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline zhuanyi Posted 04-28-2013, 03:42 AM -
357 Posts
So the response from Francisco is they don't have the per-IP records, so I guess you'll never know if you've been attacked or not.

Have said that, I am sure you can do like a load impact test or something to DOS yourself, LOL Smile
Back to top Find Quote
Offline pubcrawler Posted 04-29-2013, 06:21 AM -
97 Posts
Thanks for the info @zhuanyi.

Figured DDoS protect was just necessary when stepping near the LET/LEB audience, so it's a proactive solution ahead of any problems. Smile
Back to top Find Quote