Welcome to 96MB, please Login or Create an account to get full access to the forums.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Percona/MySQL/MariaDB - Which one is the best for LEBs?

Offline zhuanyi Posted 04-25-2013, 06:02 AM -
357 Posts
I am wondering how many people have tried all 3 flavors of MySQL (original one, Percona and MariaDB) and if anyone could comment on the advantages and disadvantages of each and which one would be the most suitable for LEBs with limited RAM?
Back to top Find Quote
Offline pubcrawler Posted 04-25-2013, 06:04 AM -
97 Posts
MariaDB seems to be where folks are now headed. It's by the original author of MySQL.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline zhuanyi Posted 04-26-2013, 11:05 PM -
357 Posts
Is Maria easy to set up? Like Percona, which I would say if someone has set up MySQL before he/she should not have any difficulties setting up a Percona DB as they are almost the same. Is Maria the same?
Back to top Find Quote
Offline pubcrawler Posted 04-29-2013, 06:24 AM -
97 Posts
I haven't done a MariaDB install yet, but I suspect it's 100% compatible and nearly identical install process. Percona was that way and since all compatible and same general developers, yeah, has to be the same.

I'll be doing a big MariaDB install in the next month on a new/fresh dedicated server, so I'll confirm everything then.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline Night Posted 04-29-2013, 08:46 AM -
7 Posts
I switched to MariaDB and noticed better performance on my LEB.. Switching over was a pain, since the debian repo didn't seem to have the compatible libs (the MariaDB was requesting older versions). However once installed there has been no differences other than performance gain.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline zhuanyi Posted 04-29-2013, 09:33 AM -
357 Posts
@Night Did you compile from the source?
Back to top Find Quote
Offline coreymanshack Posted 05-07-2013, 09:41 AM -
79 Posts
I've been meaning to switch to MariaDB as from what I read it seems like the only logical choice. 100% compatibility AND performance increases... it's a no brainer.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline wdq Posted 05-07-2013, 10:55 PM -
74 Posts
I switched to MariaDB from MySQL a couple of days ago when I upgraded my VPS to Debian 7. So far so good. The performance increase isn't incredible, but it does seem to be more efficient.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline coreymanshack Posted 05-08-2013, 01:21 AM -
79 Posts
Well I'm sure its harder to notice on smaller applications.
Back to top Find Quote