Welcome to 96MB, please Login or Create an account to get full access to the forums.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shared Hosting, anyone still using?

Offline mikho Posted 04-03-2013, 05:32 AM -
official slacker
42 Posts
With the recent topics on LET regarding free shared hosting, are there still people (within this community) that uses shared hosting?

I did some calculation what the costs would be to start something like that.

I won't put any weight in the choice of providers, I only picked these because of their price. Both on VPS and on the license.

main hosting server.
Enterprise Holiday Promo (ChicagoVPS)

2048MB Ram
100GB Diskspace
2TB Bandwidth
100Mbps Port
2xIPv4 Address
SolusVM/OpenVZ
$19/Quarter

cPanel License: $10/month

WHMCS server
OVZ-128 (Hostigation)
128/256 RAM
10 GB Disk
500 GB Bandwidth
1 IP
$20/yr

plus $12.50/month WHMCS license

total of 30,50/month
(one could take the 128 mb KVM from hostigation for an additional $0,83/ month

not counting working time, handling setup and tickets, it's still not alot of money every month.

It could be something of a fun project, I have no idea how popular it would be...

How many of your friends and other people you know about that actually use shared hosting?

-_- www.lowendguide.com -_- the guides to administer your lowend vps
Like on Facebook and follow on Twitter
Back to top WWW Find Quote
Offline zhuanyi Posted 04-03-2013, 05:52 AM -
357 Posts
I am still using shared hosting and I run BornIn.Asia, which is essentially a very limited free shared hosting service as well. Shared hosting is good if you have a low traffic site which you are too lazy to maintain or you just want to set up something quickly for your friends, etc. I put almost all my non-techie friends' sites on shared hosting since it is so much easier to maintain.

(04-03-2013, 05:32 AM)mikho Wrote: With the recent topics on LET regarding free shared hosting, are there still people (within this community) that uses shared hosting?

I did some calculation what the costs would be to start something like that.

I won't put any weight in the choice of providers, I only picked these because of their price. Both on VPS and on the license.

main hosting server.
Enterprise Holiday Promo (ChicagoVPS)

2048MB Ram
100GB Diskspace
2TB Bandwidth
100Mbps Port
2xIPv4 Address
SolusVM/OpenVZ
$19/Quarter

cPanel License: $10/month

WHMCS server
OVZ-128 (Hostigation)
128/256 RAM
10 GB Disk
500 GB Bandwidth
1 IP
$20/yr

plus $12.50/month WHMCS license

total of 30,50/month
(one could take the 128 mb KVM from hostigation for an additional $0,83/ month

not counting working time, handling setup and tickets, it's still not alot of money every month.

It could be something of a fun project, I have no idea how popular it would be...

How many of your friends and other people you know about that actually use shared hosting?
Back to top Find Quote
Offline wdq Posted 04-03-2013, 07:32 AM -
74 Posts
Whenever I design a website for a local client I will usually end up hosting it for them. They usually prefer a control panel like Cpanel instead of simply PhpMyAdmin, and FTP. So there is still a need for shared hosting, but it just doesn't seem to be something people in this community are interested in.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline pubcrawler Posted 04-03-2013, 08:29 AM -
97 Posts
I use shared hosting which is outsourced for email servers. Cpanel.

Rest of the functionality I don't use.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline tmn29a Posted 04-05-2013, 01:25 AM -
Resistance Leader
83 Posts
I used it when I first started with 'the Web', but not for a long time now. Though I'm thinking of getting some again, just for the peace of mind that I don't have to manage another server. But I have yet to find a cheap enough offer.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline jarland Posted 04-05-2013, 04:25 AM -
52 Posts
Shared hosting is very important to me. It's still the primary hosting service on the internet. Look around at the people buying VPS and notice how many are using it for shared hosting for people friends, family, co-workers, clients.

The problem is that it appears to be dying because the market is so saturated that it is extremely difficult to get a good foot in the door as far as going toward big success. The landscape is shifting though, keep an eye out.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline zhuanyi Posted 04-07-2013, 07:56 AM -
357 Posts
(04-05-2013, 04:25 AM)jarland Wrote: Shared hosting is very important to me. It's still the primary hosting service on the internet. Look around at the people buying VPS and notice how many are using it for shared hosting for people friends, family, co-workers, clients.

The problem is that it appears to be dying because the market is so saturated that it is extremely difficult to get a good foot in the door as far as going toward big success. The landscape is shifting though, keep an eye out.

It would be tough to offer something innovative in shared hosting since people are essentially mostly restricted by what CPanel could offer, and yet, at a time when you don't even need 20 bucks month to start a shared hosting business, the barrier of entry is simply just too low. On the price end, how low can you go? We are already seeing hosts offering a dollar per month for shared hosting plans.

Same can be said for VPS hosting though, I think it is just a matter of time (with things like SolusVM and WHMCS which allows people to set up VPS fairly easily), this market is quickly getting saturated as well and getting into this market and being competitive is really difficult.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline vanarp Posted 04-09-2013, 12:54 PM -
4 Posts
I think Shared Hosting still plays a crucial role in web hosting industry in general as OpenVZ does in VPS industry (overselling is key!).

Almost everyone starts his web hosting experience with shared hosting. I myself have gone through multiple shared hosting plans before buying into VPS. And I still have a shared hosting account to help friends and family.

As it is an ocean of providers in shared hosting business, it is important for a provider to differentiate himself from the rest offering some unique features. Some nice features I would like to see are:

- SSD Disk or SSD Caching
- Anycast DNS integration like Rage4
- Offloaded MySQL optimized for great performance
- Apache with Nginx proxy
- Optimized PHP with higher memory limit
- More frequently scheduled backups (6h/12h) with restore ability
- High Availability with mirror node
- Better (if not best) DDoS protection

Providers with such cool features can actually charge a premium fee. I know some of these features are already offered by a few of the providers on LET (BlueVM/Fliphost). They are definitely awesome features and I am sure some might experience better performance on such shared hosting compared to a small VPS self-configured by reading tutorials on the web.

Long live shared hosting!

working on my tech blog.
Back to top Find Quote
Offline coreymanshack Posted 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM -
79 Posts
Much like jarland said, the market is really saturated in the shared sector, but beyond that - I think most of this community is rather tech savvy and would like to run their own services instead of relying on every aspect being managed by their provider for both the power and flexibility that it offers.

Now LET might still have some people that would prefer shared hosting because for some reason it seems to attract 'those types'.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2013, 09:38 AM by coreymanshack.)
Back to top Find Quote